Monday, December 27, 2010

Details from the 6w Ultrasound and General Update

Wow - that title couldn't get any more boring! Sorry I'm not feeling very creative. I wanted to capture some additional details about my ultrasound on Friday, mostly so I won't forget. I'm guessing I won't, but you never know...
Anyway, I arrived fairly nervous. My symptoms had subsided most of that week, but the nausea did return somewhat on Thurs. evening and then off and on Fri. morning until my appointment. Regardless, I was fairly unsettled. When we started the ultrasound, my doctor confirmed that black circle (the gestational sac) on the screen was "my pregnancy." He zoomed in and studied it a bit, looking for a heartbeat. As he did, I thought to myself, "Huh, there is only one afterall." I suspected twins with my high HcG levels, especially since they were similar with my last twin pregnancy. He said, "There. See that." referring to the heartbeat. Honestly, I could barely see it. I was trying, but it was ever so faint. Then he moved around a bit more and that's when second black circle entered in. Sure enough, it was twins!! This one actually looked larger and while I didn't see the "flashing" of the heartbeat, I saw the little circle going around and around. I somehow remember the heartbeat more distinct the last time I was pregnant, but if my doc was satisfied, then I guess we are good. It seems so ironic that every time I get pregnant it is twins. It seems it is either feast or famine with us!!

My doctor and the staff could not have been more awesome. I think the entire office was celebrating. My doctor even called the head of the IVF center to tell him the good news and he said that totally made his Christmas. I really think they were as excited as we were, maybe more!! My doctor said they had a center wide meeting earlier that week and he told everyone that I was coming in on Christmas Eve and he said their faces turned white! LOL! I guess everyone loves to cheer for an underdog. I have definitely been a "special" patient of theirs. I get the impression that they don't see many chromosomal issues like our and don't do PGD all that often. It was all too similar with the last time when I left the office with my pregnancy magazines, hugs all around. I was excited, so thrilled for the opportunity, but with a heaviness knowing I have been in this spot before and it didn't work out. So, I am just PRAYING to get past the place I was last time. I feel like once I get to unchartered territory that maybe I will be able to breathe.

So one more thing to share because the timing was just so eerie. We went to church on Christmas Eve at 11pm. Service was over and we got home right about midnight. I had been feeling fine, but when I walked through the door this wave of nausea hit me. I went straight to the bathroom and thought surely I was going to lose it. My mouth was watering like crazy and I was just spitting repeatedly in the toilet. Finally, after a few minutes, it subsided. I never did throw up. It was just so strange because it was literally right at midnight, the start of Christmas Day. I just wonder if God heard my prayer to let me know this was going to be ok and that was my sign.

On the symptom front...I have had off and on nausea. I am starting to wonder if it is actually just indigestion. I have all this pressure up in my diaphragm. My husband tries to hold me in bed at night and I won't let him touch me because I feel claustrophobic, like someone is standing on my chest. I think that feeling makes me feel sick to my stomach. After a break last week from the boobs symptoms, the soreness has come back, this time on the bottom and sides toward my armpits. I keep wondering if I am getting my baby bump but I really think it is just bloating. It seems worse at night than in the morning and if I have to pee (have a full bladder), I feel like my belly is totally popped out, but it seems to come and go so I think it's just bloating.

I called my OB's office to see when they wanted me to come in. I have an appt. on Thurs. AM, but it's just to go over insurance stuff, get my lab slip for bloodwork and schedule my next appointments. No ultrasounds : ( I guess I'll find out when my next ultrasound will be on Thurs. I am kind of paranoid going back to my OB/GYN office. We had just moved when I was pregnant the last time and I have only been to that OB/GYN twice...the first time to be told that the twins didn't have heartbeats and the second time was my miscarriage follow up. Needless to say, it WAS NOT a good experience and I have pretty bad memories of that place. I know it is silly to even consider switching, but I did. It's a team practice, so I never became close with the doctors anyway. However, when I initially did my research, they seemed to be the best around, so I think I will suck it up and go back. It's not their fault and actually they handled this situation very professionally.

Well, that's about it for now. I guess this post is long enough!!

1 comment:

  1. Woo! I like the 6w scan! It stinks that there's nothing to do but wait out the time and hope for a different outcome. I felt a nice wash of relief when this pregnancy passed the point where I miscarried the first pregnancy (then another at 12 weeks, and another at the anatomy scan, and another at quickening, and another at 28 weeks, etc). I hope time flies for you from here to there. The odds are excellent!

    ReplyDelete