Sunday, December 12, 2010

3 cheers for Hubby!

My husband's aunt has a holiday party every other year. She has about 40 people for a sit down meal with about 20 courses....ok 5, but it feels like 20! It's mostly their friends and then some family, so most of the people are in their 50's-70's. So bear with me as I paint this picture. We are all called into one room and stand in a circle. My aunt then instructs everyone to go around and introduce themselves and share something they have done that year. We start around the room and hear about wonderful trips to faraway destinations from the other guests and then almost every.single.one proceeds to say how they are completely in love with their [insert number] of wonderful grandchildren who bring such joy to their lives, yadda, yadda, yadda. So as I am thinking back through the year and realize we have been NO WHERE (which is odd for us because we love to travel) and I realize it's because we never know our F'ing schedule because of stupid infertility treatments. So WTH am I gonna say?? I finally come up with my line. So we go around 3/4 of the room before it's our turn. My husband is first and guess what he says???? He said, "Well, we've spent the entire year trying to make some grandkids with no success." I was somewhat in shock, but somewhat elated. I want people to know that this shit doesn't always come easy. And then the comments came. One lovely lady yells out, "Oh, just stop trying and then it will happen." And then from the other side of the room a gentleman yells, "I can come over and help you with that!!" Bursts of laughter. It was kinda funny, I guess. I was proud though....proud of my husband for saying what we REALLY did this year, and hopefully after some of the wine wears off, maybe that little bit of information will stick with those folks in case one day one of their grandchildren have problems too.

3 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie, sorry ive been off the radar...and haven't had a chance to thank you for the blog award!!!

    I think your hubby's line was just perfect...its easy for people in the room to throw around random comments, but only you both know all the emotions you have endured and shared so far...and I think what matters is that both of you understand each other like no one else in that room possibly does :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i love this post! go hubby!

    good luck today! i've been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Its amazing how honesty can set you free especially when dealing with the big IF!

    ReplyDelete