Friday, July 29, 2011

The Twins have Arrived!



Surprise! Our 2 little miracles have arrived!!


Lots more details forthcoming, but the quick story….

Went to the doctor on Monday afternoon for a regular appointment and was sent directly to the hospital because the preeclampsia stuff was getting worse and they wanted more testing. Once there, at looking at the lab results, the nurses told me, “You aren’t going home….not without those babies.”

More surprises…you know how I mentioned I felt like the babies had dropped, well, we did an ultrasound and Baby B had flipped and was now vertex (head down) like Baby A. He had been breech the whole pregnancy and I was so thrilled with this change.

SO…..long and short of it was Tues. AM they broke my water, started pitocin, I got an epidural at lunchtime, at 6pm they wheeled me in the Operating Room. I pushed for 40 min. with each baby and vaginally delivered my two little miracles who I am completely in love with…


"Baby A" Matthew

4 lbs 14 oz.

18.5 inches long


&

"Baby B" Ryan

4 lbs. 11 oz.

17.75 inches long


My little guys both got 9 out of 10 on APGAR and are perfect little angels!

I had severe bleeding afterwards. Apparently on average a placenta detaches in about 3 min. Both of mine took 23 minutes and had to be manually separated. The pain was INSANE!! I guess I thought I was “done” after delivering Ryan, but the next 45 min seemed just as painful as pushing those babies out. The result of the great blood loss and the preeclampsia was that I was seriously sick after delivery. I was shaking uncontrollably, bundled in a million warm blankets, and felt like I was dying. I really felt like I was not on earth. It was pretty scary. I was so sad because I wanted so badly to hold and nurse the babies, but there was absolutely no way.

Wednesday morning, I was making a little improvement, but the doctors were talking about giving me a blood transfusion (which I have held off on since I seem to be improving). Meanwhile, both babies were doing great. Matthew was having a little trouble keeping his temperature up, so he had to be put in an isolette (basically a warmer) for a day.

I started trying to breastfeed and pump on Wednesday as I started to improve and while it has been a slow start, I have gotten both boys to successfully feed a few times. I want to take my lactation consultant home with me!!

The insane hormones have also set in. Let’s just say that I was standing in the nursery rocking my boys at 3am this morning, balling my eyes out and repeating, “I can’t believe they are mine.”
I was officially discharged yesterday and expect the boys to be discharged today so we may be going home!

More to come, but wanted to share the awesome news!

10 comments:

  1. Yay congratulations!! So glad both were vertex and you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Congratulations!!! How exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sounds like you had a scary experience--glad you are ok and feeling better. The babies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! 40 min of pushing? You are a ROCKSTAR!! Hope you feel better soon. The crazy post-birth emotions lasted for me for about 3-6 weeks. I cried for 1.5 hours every day. I didn't know why. I was just overcome with emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaaay! Happy birth day Matthew and Ryan! They're gorgeous! Congratulations! You've had quite the journey! Good job, momma! The emotions are awesome right? I cry every day, but it's always happy tears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay!!!! so happy for you! they are beautiful. i'm so glad you had a chance to deliver vaginally and that you are healing well. i think that bawling because you can't believe they are yours is totally appropriate!!! adorable. can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the world, Matthew and Ryan!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! So proud of you, Mama, you are amazing.

    I still am overcome with tears of gratitude and amazement when I look at our sweet babies. It never ever gets old. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if this had happened, since you hadn't posted in a couple days -- I was right! I'm so glad that they're here, they're healthy, and you got to have the vaginal delivery you hoped for. Thought I winced at the term "manual separation." Yikes! I hope you're feeling great and that you and your DH get to really enjoy these babies amidst the craziness of getting into the new home.

    And they're radiantly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy for you!!! The boys are adorable and I am so excited that they are here. Congratulations Momma!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I have tears in my eyes! So so happy for you and hubby. So glad to hear everything went well and the little heroes are doing well. Keep us posted as and when you get time, because I know you have both your hands full (literally).

    You rock mommy!

    ReplyDelete