Thursday, July 21, 2011

36 week appointment

I had a quick appointment today to check blood pressure, urine (for protein) and do my Group B Strep test. My blood pressure was about the same as it was on Monday - still slightly elevated, but not to dangerous levels. There was some protein in my urine, but again not to dangerous levels. So, they said come back on Monday to continue to be monitored for preeclampsia signs. I am a little nervous about some of the other side effects they mentioned - headaches, blurred vision, upper right quadrant pain....I have had all of these things, but they seem to come and go. The upper right quadrant pain is the most interesting - I always assumed that was the baby that made my ribs feel bruised and tender, but apparently that may be my liver, which is enlarged! EEK!

They did my Group B Strep test and then asked if I wanted to have my cervix checked...said it was totally optional. I asked how much it was going to hurt and the doctor said, "it's gonna be pretty uncomfortable." I quickly said, "no thanks." I was kind of curious, but I figured if they aren't going to check me at every appointment, what is the point in knowing (because I won't be able to see progress)? Even if I was slightly dilated, I could stay that way for weeks. I am slightly rationalizing my decision though. Honestly, I kind of wimped out. I can't believe after all the IVF stuff I've been through and the fact that I am about to give birth that I wussed out on a cervix check. GEEZ!!! I have really gotten "soft!"

The craziest part of the appointment was when the doctor asked if I had thought any more about delivery. I told him that if the babies stayed positioned as-is, that I would probably do a c-section. He said, "Ok, well let's get you scheduled for about 38 weeks." I told him I needed to check with hubby and then when I was checking out at the front desk, I checked to see who was on call that week, so maybe I could pick a doctor I liked (I go to a group practice). It just seemed so surreal to actually be thinking about scheduling the birth of these babies. I can't believe the time has come!! I am just praying these little guys are healthy and strong. They certainly fought hard to get here, so I'm hoping they continue to be fiesty little guys!

4 comments:

  1. Oh the pre-e signs do sound a bit scary. I get pain under my ribs all the time! 36 weeks is a great milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 36 weeks, woot! It seems like about a month ago I was reading about your BFP.

    y'know, I found cervix checks TERRIBLY uncomfortable. If it's optional, then clearly there is no medical reason to do it. So good on you. And it sounds like you're feeling good about a scheduled C. I'm so glad the end-game is shaping up well!

    How does the potential birth schedule square with your home-improvement/moving plans? You are going to be one busy mama! I wish I lived near you so that I could drop off a whole lot of dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a rockstar at 36 weeks, look at you!!!!

    As for the C versus vag.....my practice was all about the vag birth and downplayed the risks of the chance of having both so it sorta convinced me to attempt vag. Meanwhile, across town, AplusB's doctors were strongly advocating a C even with baby A being head down. Ay yi yi! My point is, I think what YOUR doctor is comfie with and what he/she recommends is probably what you'll naturally feel best about. It will all work out, I promise.

    And don't sweat the cervical check! At this point, whether or not you are dilated isn't going to stop or start labor. It'll happen when it happens! And you're right, I was 3cm dilated for 3 weeks! So it doesn't mean much to a twin Mama. :)

    I am sending you SO MUCH positive energy!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with everything...the cervical check is NOT fun...but it is over quickly. And, honestly, you've been through enough with the IVF stuff...no need to put yourself in un-necessary pain. I can't believe your time is here!! Yeah!!

    ReplyDelete