Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New House, No Cribs and 34 weeks - OH MY!!

I tend to be an organized person...really I am, but you wouldn't know it lately. I am 34 weeks with twins and I literally don't know where I am going to be living when these babies arrive!

We ended up buying that house we were looking at (I can't remember if I already mentioned that). The previous owners moved out at the end of June and we were having this debate of whether we should try and move before the babies come or not. There is a lot of work to be done - new carpet, hard wood, new countertops, appliances, fixtures, painting, etc. etc. and it would be 10 times easier to do the work before our furniture was there (not to mention the dust and paint fumes that I don't really want to be around). My husband had convinced me it just wasn't going to happen, so I finally came to peace that we wouldn't move until the fall. Well, his friend that does house remodeling came to look at the house and said, "we can knock this out in a month no problem." So, with hope in sight, we decided to get back on the "fast track" and try and get things done before the babies arrive. So, I am seriously up to my eyeballs picking out carpet, tile, paint colors and the like. Most women like this stuff....I apparently am not like most women because it just stresses me out! There are SOOO many choices and while I am great at researching and analyzing the pros and cons of all the products, I am terrible at making a decision. I have such a hard time visualizing how something will really look and I am scared I won't like it! Luckily, that's where hubby comes in....the decision maker!

To make matters worse, our cribs are STILL not in. Supposedly they will be here in the next week or two. I'm not holding my breath!

I have everything we don't use every day packed up in the old house. The "nursery" in the old house is basically a room with all the baby stuff (which is fairly organized), but I just haven't gotten to do the proper nesting. I always envisioned I would have this perfect nursery just waiting for the babies and instead I have no cribs, there is no point in decorating the old house when we are moving and the new house isn't ready. EEK! The good news is that everyone tells me that as long as you have the basics (milk, diapers, etc) and the impromptu bassinet or pack n' play if need be, the babies won't even know the difference! I sure hope so because this momma is a mess!!!

On a more positive note, I am glad we are picking out all this stuff for the new house now because I can't imagine trying to choose lighting fixtures with 2 newborns! So even if we don't get to move before they arrive, hopefully the selections will be done and it's just a matter of waiting out the construction. The moving won't be fun, but we'll manage!

Off to meet with a prospective pediatrician!

1 comment:

  1. We didn't really use a crib until DJ was over a month old. It was all bassinet before that.

    Lots of exciting stuff! We were able to do a lot to our current house before we moved in, and it was a GREAT move.

    And we painted the nursery but didn't decorate for a while, and hey -- it's weeks before the babies can see even 3 feet, so there's no tremendous hurry on that either.

    I'm with you. I'm SO not into decorating.

    Thanks for the update -- I love reading about your unfolding adventure.

    ReplyDelete