Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pre-E monitoring

I have a scheduled doctor's appt. on Monday, but decided to call my doctor's office today because the swelling in my legs has gotten ridiculous. It has worked it's way from my feet to now all the way up to my thighs. I literally have no ankles and knees. It is totally disgusting. I was hoping I would go in and they would say everything was just fine and I was being my normal worry-wart self, but I wasn't quite that lucky.

They took my blood pressure and it was up. Not to any crazy levels, but definitely up for me and borderline high for the general population. There was no protein in my urine, but they made me take this jug and collect my urine for the next 24 hours and then I have to do some bloodwork.

The did a fetal non stress test where they hooked me up to all these monitors. They said the babies were good and that I was definitely having contractions. The doctor said, "Well good, maybe you'll go into labor on your own" to which I quickly responded, "Well, NOT YET!!!" He said, "You know, you ARE at 35 weeks." I said, "Yeah, but Dr. B (another doctor in the practice) was just telling me she delivered twins this weekend on their due date - 40 weeks." He said, "That's nice, but it's not normal. Most twins come at 36-37 weeks so you better get ready." I don't know why, but I was not ready to hear this!! I obviously knew in my mind that 36-37 weeks was totally in the realm of possibilities and heck - it would even be awesome to make it that far. I guess I have just been so fixated on baking these babies longer. I just want so badly for them to grow big and strong and be healthy when they arrive. Plus my own little selfish reason regarding the move and if they could just wait 2 weeks, we could have all the house stuff wrapped up and they could be in our new house!

Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for my appointment on Monday - that babies have grown, that the urine test and lab work come back ok.

As a sidenote, I do wonder if something is going on because I have become insanely uncomfortable lately. The swelling and then I can hardly stand to lay down because Baby A is up under my ribs and they feel bruised. I started sleeping on the couch because it's more comfy for me to have the back to rest against and less disturbing to my hubby. Another bizarre thing....earlier this week when I was in bed with hubby, he was kind of resting his head on my chest. When we got up, we noticed this wet spot on my t-shirt. He was joking that he must have drooled on me. Well, the next morning, I had a matching "drool" spot on the other side. I am thinking nipple leakage! YIPES!!! The babies kicks have gotten super strong and when Baby A decides to get the hiccups or punch down there, I literally have this reflex to hold it in (like an arm is going to fly out or something!!)

4 comments:

  1. it is SO SO SO SO awesome you have made it this far and without a single hiccup, so happy for you! you are amazing.

    my OBs always said anything past 34 weeks is pure gravy. and at 35w3d, i had non-NICU, take-home babies, so rest assured your little guys are in great shape!!! all that said, i hope they continue to bake! good luck on the big move! thinking of you so much. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35 weeks is great! I am with you on the swelling, my ankles just disappeared. I keep thinking also that I have a ton of time left but my doctor told me something similar to @suchagoodegg - anything past 34 weeks is great but you're in the clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope the babies decide to stay in there and bake for a little longer. But even if they decide to come sooner, since you are past 35 wks, everything should be alright. The swelling and discomfort must be hard. I hope you feel better soon. Looking forward to hearing wonderful news of the babies' arrival (in 5 wks :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still here thinking of you and so happy that you have made it so far! Can't wait to meet those twins (Tippy)

    ReplyDelete