Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Botched PGD Test!

So, we drive 2 hours for our supposed Embryo Transfer and about 15 min. before we arrived at the clinic I got a call from the PGD center saying that they have NO RESULTS. I wasn't prepared for that possibility. I dreaded the call saying we had no normal embryos, I hoped for the call saying we had many normal ones....but NO RESULTS???? The doctor from the PGD Center said "this has never happened before," but wouldn't that be our luck?? So, the new gameplan is to repeat the biopsy once the embryos become blastoycysts (today or tomorrow) and then re-perform the microarray PGD test and PRAY we get results the second time. To add insult to injury, we also have to freeze the embryos now because they can't stay in culture any longer and we won't have the new test results for 42 hours. So, now I have to wait a whole other cycle to transfer. UGH!!! I am so mad that these little embryos have to go through so much....not one, but TWO biopsies, freezing and thawing....how can they withstand all of that??? As if this wasn't hard enough. I am just so mad and sad and upset. My dreams of possibly having my babies in utero this weekend out the window in a flash. When talking to the PGD Center and the IVF Center and coming up with this new gameplan, I had my act together, mad, but composed, figuring out what's next, all the while my hubby in the seat next to me saying, "can you translate? I have no idea what you are talking about. All I heard was, 'this has never happened before.' " Sweet, sweet hubby. He still asks me what the chromosome "thing" is that he has. He's not into the details! But he does understand when his wife completely loses it. After I hung up the phone, that's exactly what I did. I just sobbed. I know I should be grateful we weren't given the worst news possible (that we had no healthy embryos), but you have so much hope, so much riding on this, and it is such a let down. I am realizing the futher we go in this journey that you not only deal with the given failure or roadblock or let down of that moment, but all of the past failures and challenges and have to deal with all of it - and sometimes it feels like more than I can bear.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so sorry his happened to you! Do you mind sharing the name of the lab? I'm about to do PGD myself so I'm trying to be prepared.

    Good luck with your FET. I'll be following along.

    And thanks for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete