Friday, April 22, 2011

Names

We are about 90% settled on the babies first names. Middle names are still TBD.
It is cracking me up how people love to give their opinions on good names. My 2 favorite suggestions (insert sarcasm) have been:
Ike and Issac (from my half joking father)
and
Billy and Bobby (from my husband's country livin' Grandma)

I am kind of torn about sharing names ahead of time. I would rather not discuss at all, but people will say, "What names are you thinking of? Just as an example...." I try and avoid it and they keep pushing, so I throw out a few names to humor them. It's amazing people's reaction...how they grimace or say, "No...."and then share some story about why that is a bad name and then make some horrible suggestion instead. Part of me (well, most of me) wants to wait until the babies are born because then no one can protest and the decision is ours. But our families are so darn nosy. What do you all think?

4 comments:

  1. yes i agree completely, never reveal what you have decided, because you will invariably get some comment. Instead, just announce the name once the babies are born, so they won't have anything to say except "aww how cute". Instead, just tell them - we haven't decided yet, do you have any suggestions?
    My friend used to ask opinions for names, and would end up feeling bad when someone said something mean about a name. SO i figured its best to keep it to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my Husband is determined to keep our names a secret until they are born. I am finding this hard but do think it's better. I can't believe that people actually give you an opinion other than "those are great names". People can be soo bold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law, Jill, told everyone her name choices to see if anyone could possibly make fun of the names via rhyming. When she was little she was constantly made fun of ("Jack and Jill went up the hill..."), and she was determined to not let that happen to her kids. So, she was HOPING that people would find a way to make fun of the names she chose. Kind of a backwards way of looking at it, huh? LOL! But, yeah.....I will not reveal our thought-of names....mostly because it's fun keeping everyone is suspense. LOL! I'm evil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want to share the name either. I just kept saying, "We haven't decided." And if people press, I would joke with a list of names like "Wolfgang, Knute, Colbert, etc".

    ReplyDelete