Friday, April 22, 2011

Decisions, Decisions....

I feel like I am in research overload...albeit about good things...but I am one of those people that research extensively, has to have all the facts and then makes the best decision I can. I generally can see both sides of every story and consequently live in the "gray" area, so decisions can be difficult for me. Some of the things I am currently wrestling with are as trivial as which stroller or car seat to choose....others are much harder like whether or not to circumcise or to bank the babies cord blood. Circumcision seemed like an easy decision...my husband is circumcised, I assumed it was the standard, but after talking to one of my friends with 2 sons and learning more about it, it seems there is little medical reason to do so. Another example...I am a pretty structured person, so I always assumed I would be a Mom that had a schedule. However, the more I learn about twins, especially preemies, the goal is to gain weight, so that means feeding as soon as baby is hungry (not on a structured schedule). Point is, even the things that seemed like easy decisions have gotten complex. I have so many friends that have babies with food allergies (some of them very severe) and I worry about autism. I want to breastfeed, but I know it will be difficult with two babies. I am probably too much of a perfectionist. I just want to do everything possible to keep these babies healthy and safe.

2 comments:

  1. My cousin (also my wonderful advice guru) always advices me not to try and be a perfectionist. Because it is almost impossible to do everything right when you have a baby (so imagine with two!). She said one ends up getting frustrated if you have high standards and want everything done just right. If you are more easy going, it makes life a little simpler.
    I am sure after a few months, things will start to take some routine, but till then, it will probably be one crazy ride!
    It must be so exciting picking prams and car seats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you. I figure I will be forced into letting go of many perfectionist tendencies once the babies arrive, actually I already have started since I am limited in what I am allowed to do at this point. This means no obsessive cleaning or shopping!

    For the circumcision issue - we aren't having boys but this was brought up at our multiples prenatal class - my husband is and most guys in our generation where we live are...according to my husband. That being said the nurse said the new trend is to not do it. She said often people do it so that sons can be like dad but she said she would be more concerned that sons be like other boys in the locker room down the road... just something to factor in.

    ReplyDelete