Thursday, February 10, 2011

Another "Coming Out" story

I decided to tell my hubby's aunt that we are pregnant.

Let me set the background here.....
I had previously told her about our complications and had a long heart-to-heart when we found out about hubby's chromosome issue to see if we could figure out where in the family it came from (which we never did BTW). Anyway, so she knows about the chromosome issue, she knows we were doing IVF and PGD, but she wasn't really in the loop on the timing of any cycles.

So, I said to her the other night, "I wanted to tell you that we are finally pregnant." She squealed with excitement (yay for a good reaction!) and then we start chatting a bit and she says, "You know, I was talking to my friend, Sue, about the trouble you guys were having. Awesome - I'm glad Sue now knows our business. Sue's daughter in law also had trouble getting pregnant and they said it was because she was too thin. You know, that might be your problem."
Me (with mouth on floor): "Well, that is what my OB/GYN told me about 3 years ago, that maybe I should put on some weight. I tried that and then I was just fat and still not pregnant. ha ha! (trying to make a joke while wondering WTH she is thinking)
So we manage to get past that and then she says, "So, do twins run in your family?"
And that was the point I realized she has absolutely no clue what is going on.
Ay yi yi!!!

2 comments:

  1. Get used to it! hahaha. :) "Do twins run in your family" is the Q I am asked most often. But what's hilarious about your aunt is that she wasn't asking it as a thinly veiled way of finding out if you did ART....she already knew you did IVF!!!

    I dealt with that "you're probably too thin" crap from my Mom for several months and I know first-hand how hurtful and disturbing those comments can be. Especially when it has NOTHING to do with why you can't get pregnant, but you can't help but internalize it a bit and think it IS your fault. My Mom and I definitely had to work through that. Gah!

    Anyway, yip on coming out to more peeps!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will never get it. You must be so glad to be telling people the "good news"! I hope you get better reactions next time and less advice.

    ReplyDelete