Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nobel Prize

Dr. Robert Edwards of Britain won the 2010 Nobel Prize in medicine yesterday for developing in-vitro fertilization. Louise Brown was the first baby born using IVF in 1978 and since then over 4 million babies have been born using IVF. How awesome is that?!

One of my girlfriends that just had a baby using IVF wrote this on Facebook yesterday, "Timing couldn't be more fitting that I get to congratulate and thank Dr. Edwards on his Nobel Prize. His work has allowed us to have a family, and to use the words of a friend, no words can express our gratitude." Amen sister!

While I can't say I am glad to have been dealt this hand of cards, I do think about how lucky I am to be living in 2010 where we have the science and technology like IVF and PGD. If I had been born 50 years ago, there would be viurtually no hope for a biological child. People like Dr. Brown made it possible for people like me to even have a chance and for that I am incredibly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment