Friday, August 12, 2011

Week 2

The boys are getting bigger and stronger. They already do tummy time and can pick their heads up and turn them. I call Matthew our little break dancer because he does this superman move where he rolls forward on his chest and his legs are up in the air. They are eating about 2 oz. every 3 hours. Breastfeeding has gotten better, but it is still hit or miss. It seems like all the stars have to properly align - they have to be hungry, awake, alert, but not too fussy and then we can feed. Otherwise we spend 10 min. trying to get latched and finally just give up and I have Mom or hubby give them a bottle. The bottle feels like it is undermining my cause because they get milk so easily, but they obviously need to eat. It's just hard. I know they are drinking breastmilk from the bottle, which is the most important thing to me, but I just wish breastfeeding was easier so we could eliminate some steps of this long feeding process and that it wasn't so frustrating for me and babies.

Honestly, that has been my biggest and pretty much my only struggle so far. Otherwise they are such good babies. Their funny little faces when the sleep and their sprays of pee during changing time keep me laughing and I can't get enough of kissing their soft baby skin.

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for their 2 week check up. Both boys had gained almost a pound and they now weigh 5 lbs 12 oz. and 5 lbs 7 oz. Theyhave almost graduated from preemie outfits and diapers!! The pediatrician was really pleased with their weight gain. The worst part of the visit...the doctor heard a heart murmur on Matthew. She said she didn't think anything was structurally wrong and that most murmurs resolve themselves by 6 mos. but she wants us to see a pediatric cardiologist just to be on the safe side. She said not to worry (yeah right). I did some reading online and it does sound to be fairly common and many murmurs are totally benign. Just praying that is the case here.

No comments:

Post a Comment