Sunday, August 7, 2011

Week 1

We came home on Friday, August 1st. It was so strange to walk in my house after being gone for 5 days unexpectedly. I found my bathing suit and towel randomly hanging on the door knob (because I had gone swimming the morning of my doctor's appointment when I was sent to the hospital). Just things not as tidied as I would have had them. Plus - moving boxes everywhere. We didn't quite finish the new house before our little guys arrived. But, it's just fine. The little guys don't have a fab nursery, but they are staying with us downstairs anyway and the swings, bouncy seats and pack n' play seem to be doing the trick for now. Poor hubby has had to spend time going to the new house to finish up projects. I will be SO glad when the house is ready!


My Mom is here and has been AMAZING! I have no idea what I would do without her.

Our first big outing was to the pediatrician on Sunday, August 3rd. I think they have you come as a test - to see if you can get your act together, feed, change, get the little ones in the car seat properly and get to an appointment on time. Not an easy task! The boys got a great report and are maintaining their birth weights. No jaundice or temperature issues (which were a little borderline when we were discharged from the hospital).

We are on a 3 hour schedule. Whichever little guy is more awake, I start breastfeeding him and we let the other one sleep. I work on breastfeeding for about 10 min. If I can get them to latch, we stay nursing. If not, and if the little guy is upset, I turn him over to hubby or my Mom to get a bottle of pumped milk. It is hard to strike the balance between helping them learn to breastfeed and not letting them spend too much energy if it isn’t working (they need to keep their weight). I have found that I have to get them naked and good and awake for them to nurse properly. Cutting out either of those things = a not so good nursing session. So basically, I nurse one, hand them over for a bottle to finish them up and then I work with the other little one. Mom or hubby bottle feeds one, burps him and then puts him down in a swing and takes the other one to feed him a bottle. At the end, we get everyone changed, dressed and swaddled up in a blanket. We were changing them at the start of the feeding to wake them up and while it did wake them up, we end up with more poop and pee during the feeding, so twice as much work in changing. So we changed up the order.

I'm starting to find that the days all kind of run together. Getting outside is huge! It makes you feel human again. But, it is so stinking HOT and HUMID! UGH!

I am so in love with every little thing on these guys - the tiny fingers and toes, the little grunts, yawns, hiccups, burps and farts - all adorable. I can't stop myself from kissing them and cuddling them.

3 comments:

  1. They are adorable!!! Glad you are finding a good routine and that your doctor appointment went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! They are absolutely gorgeous! And yes, I agree -- seeing the pedi for the 1st time is totally a test. i found it very challenging to pull everything together that soon (we went on day 3).

    So glad everything went well and you guys are getting into a routine. Congrats again!

    We both have our twin boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read your whole blog. My husband has a balanced translocation. We are about to start IVF w/ICSI and PGD in the next few month. Its people like you that give me hope. I am SO happy for you, and look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete