Monday, August 12, 2013

First OB visit

I went to the OB today to "confirm" the pregnancy.  Surprisingly they were able to squeeze me in for a dating scan to see how far along I am since I really wasn't sure.  I was guessing between 6 and 9 weeks and it turned out I was 8 weeks and 5 days.  The baby looked great and it was amazing how much of a baby he/she already looked like.  Despite being in those stirrups more times than I care to remember, I was shaking uncontrollably.  The image of my first set of twins with no heartbeats is forever etched in my memory and I think subconsciously I was expecting the worst.

I can feel myself vacillating between being excited and being guarded because we have so many decisions to make and so much to overcome still.  I spoke with my OB about my options for prenatal screening.  He was light on details and referred me to a perinatologist and a genetic counselor with whom I have already met.  Considering the translocation and my "advanced" maternal age at 35, I have to figure out which tests are right for us.  I was originally thinking to skip the nuchal translucency u/s and go straight to a CVS for a definite answer on the chromosomes, but I spoke to the genetic counselor today and she told me a couple of things:
1) their center no longer does CVS'.  They refer to somewhere that does over 1000/year.
2) They do amnios at 16.5 weeks (earlier than I expected).
3) They can see things on a nuchal ultrasound that a CVS won't tell them (e.g., structural issues, etc).
4) She indicated that CVS results can take some time to get back, whereas they can get amnio preliminary results very quickly.

She recommended I come in for a nuchal ultrasound and then if there is a problem, they would recommend proceeding with a CVS.  Otherwise, I could decide if I want a definite answer and they could do an amnio a few weeks later.  I still would rather know sooner than later, but the doctor comes HIGHLY recommended by everyone in the area (in fact, it's almost impossible to get in), they know my history, and their logic seemed to make sense so I think this is the gameplan for now.

I came home from my doctor's appointment to my two boys yelling, "MOMMY!" and wondered how they would handle it if they were no longer the center of attention and how in the world I was going manage them and a newborn.  I still feel overwhelmed at the thought of it, but I know that should things work out, that we will figure out a way and that we are OVERLY blessed to have the family we do.  Things happen for a reason and I know it will work out the way it is supposed to.

As a sidenote - I have no idea how I am going to hide my belly.  At not even 9 weeks I am bigger than I was my first pregnancy at like 15 weeks and that was twins!

2 comments:

  1. Almost every blogger on my reading list is pregnant with their second - almost all of them "it just happened!" and with kids being close in age. Me included. Nature is just amazing. I understand all your conflicted feelings. Some days its just hard to take care of 1, and I keep thinking we are crazy to be thinking we can handle 2 (I should say I, not we, because I'll be the one at home with both). So I can imagine your worries about handling 3! But eventually we will get through the tough first year...my friends tell me it gets better after that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Congratulations! I hope things are humming along with the boys and everything. It'll be so interesting to see how a singleton newborn period feels after doing that with twins.

    ReplyDelete